It is springtime in Bensalem, but many people already have summer on the brain. It is that time of year when the weather starts to get nice, people get back into outdoor activities and recreation, and students realize the end of the school year is in sight. For many adults and children, summer means pool season and Bensalem Children Injuries Lawyers want to remind you that while summer in the sun can be full of fun, swimming pools can be extremely dangerous, especially when it comes to children.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, approximately 10 people die from drowning every day and 2 of those 10 people are children younger than 14. Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children ages 14 and younger and except for birth defects, more children ages 1-4 die from drowning than any other cause.
Dry drowning is also known as secondary drowning and occurs when someone has inhaled small amounts of water while swimming, usually due to struggling in the water. The fluid then builds up in the lungs and causes breathing difficulties. Dry drowning is especially scary because it can happen after children are finished swimming for the day and are back at home behaving normally and then all of a sudden they start having trouble breathing.
Water safety tips
Safe pool practices are critical for parents and caregivers to keep children safe from harm. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s ‘Pool Safely’ campaign offers the following tips to reduce children’s risk of drowning:
- Never leave a child unattended in or near water
- Teach children how to swim
- Teach children to stay away from drains
- Ensure all pools and spas have compliant drain covers
- Install proper barriers, covers, and alarms on and around pools and spas
- Know how to perform CPR on children
Other types of pool injuries
Drowning is not the only injury risk that children face when it comes to swimming pools. Other common swimming pool injuries include:
- Skin, eye, and respiratory injuries caused by pool chemicals
- Slip, Trip and Falls on dangerous pool property conditions such as cracked and uneven pool deck pavement and slippery pool area surfaces
- Spinal cord and Brain Injuries caused by shallow dives
- Illness and disease spread in contaminated pool water
- Electrocution caused by faulty electrical installation or electronics falling into the water
- Diving board injuries
Attorneys at The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin P.C. know that parents do everything they can to protect their children, but parents cannot prevent all accidents and injuries, especially when they are caused by someone else’s negligence. Children sustain serious injuries in a number of ways including Car Accidents, sports injuries, household chemicals or medication poisoning, Defective Products, negligent childcare supervision, and dangerous property conditions.
If your child sustained Injuries in an accident caused by someone else’s fault, contact a Bensalem children injury lawyer to schedule a free consultation. Our attorneys represent injured children and their families to see that they secure financial compensation for injuries caused by someone else’s wrongful conduct.