We have learned that the city of Philadelphia has agreed to pay $495,000 to the estate of a woman who was killed two years ago after she was hit by a city police vehicle. The woman, 40-year-old Michelle Kolk, died after she was hit while the police cruiser was backing up.
At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we know that no amount of money can bring a loved one back, but a wrongful death lawsuit can bring closure and help to ensure that nobody else has to go through the same thing. If you need a Philadelphia Wrongful Death Lawyer, call us today so we can get to work for you.
How Can Wrongful Death Happen?
In the case above, the estate of Michelle Kolk has been battling the city for over a year. The lawsuit was filed in January of 2018 and the settlement was just awarded. This shows just how complex and lengthy these cases can become.
An investigation into the incident determined that the officer who struck Kolk had not seen her behind the vehicle and no Criminal Charges were filed, but a lack of criminal charges does not mean a civil case cannot be filed.
It is common for there to be both criminal and civil cases ongoing at the same time. It is also common for civil wrongful death cases to be filed despite a lack of criminal charges.
There are many ways in which these cases arise. Today, we want to discuss a few of them, but this is by no means a complete list:
- Car Accidents – negligent drivers are often responsible for traffic-related deaths: Drunk or drugged drivers, distracted drivers, and those who speed cause an overwhelming number of all traffic crash deaths.
- Medical Malpractice – whether from surgical mistakes, medication mix-ups, infections, or a misdiagnosis, medical errors are the third leading cause of death in the US.
- Work-Related Incidents – all employers should ensure that they provide a safe working environment, proper training, and necessary equipment for employees.
- Product Liability – defective products make it into our lives and can cause major injuries or fatalities.
- Nursing home neglect and abuse – all too often we hear of nursing home deaths due to abuse or neglect from the staff.
- Excessive use of force – police and corrections officers have a tough job, but if they use more force than necessary and cause a death, they should be held accountable.
- Premises liability – property owners must ensure that their premises are safe from hazards that could cause injuries and fatalities to patrons.
How A Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
We know that the loss of a loved one can be overwhelming, especially if another person or company was at fault. At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we can help guide you in the right direction. Our first goal will be to ensure that you and your family are fairly compensated for your loss. This can include:
- Money for funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of income and benefits of the deceased
- Pain and suffering/loss of companionship damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
If you need a lawyer , you can contact us for a free consultation by calling 215-673-7733.
More information about truck accident lawyer helps.