Adjustment of Status Lawyer Philadelphia

Call: (215)-799-9990

It is a privilege to live in the United States of America; one which many of us are fortunate enough to be born into. For those not so lucky, it remains a possibility to reside in America on a temporary basis. However, once that legal basis expires, an individual needs to apply for an adjustment of status in order to stay. This procedure allows eligible persons born outside of this country, presently living here legally, to remain in the country on a non-temporary basis, and become a lawful permanent resident.

With that said, an application for adjustment of status is a complex process. There are many pitfalls which may lead to delay or denial of one’s application. The Immigration Attorneys at The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. will assist you, ensuring your application process is handled as smoothly and professionally as possible.

How Does the Process Work?

In order to apply for Adjustment of Status, in the vast majority of cases you must have entered the country legally (although there are a few exceptions to this general rule). In general, your application must be filed by a citizen or LPR on your behalf. The application must include a basis for immigration, such as:

  1. Familial RelationshipFamily-Based Immigrant Visas are issued via a preference based system: (1) unmarried children under the age of 21, (2) spouses of citizens or LPRs and their unmarried children, (3) married children and their spouses and minor children, and (4) siblings of adult U.S. citizens and their spouses and minor children.
  2. Employer/Employee – In the world’s competitive market place, many American based companies may seek to hire talent from outside the country. As such, an employer may support an individual’s application.
  3. Humanitarian Basis – Individuals may be considered when they can demonstrate the need to remain in America based upon concerns over humanitarian issues.
  4. Physical Abuse – Family members of legal residents may file, even despite entering the country illegally, if they can demonstrate the need in order to protect them from physical abuse or violence.

Philadelphia Adjustment of Status LawyerUnlike the aforementioned examples, if a person lives outside the country, or is ineligible to adjust their status while in the U.S., they may seek a visa to enter permanently under a similar process known as “consular processing.”There are many criteria which have to be met in order to successfully endure the application process. If the individual, family member, or employer’s status changes, this may affect proceedings. Any unauthorized employment or criminal activity may threaten completion. These are but a few of the common bumps which may become evident in the road to a successful adjustment of status.

This is a complicated process which requires the assistance of diligent representation to protect your interests. Call The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. today to schedule an appointment, and meet with one of our Lawyers today.

This content was written on behalf of Greg Prosmushkin.