A scaffold is a raised wooden, or metal platform construction workers often use to elevate themselves and materials. It can be used for months or years until the construction work is completed.
Scaffolding, however, poses a considerable threat to construction workers and passersby. It can even affect the people living nearby. Defecting scaffolding tends to cause serious accidents that impact many people. Most are made of wooden planks and metal poles that increase the risk of fatal injuries.
State and federal authorities have strict guidelines regarding the use of scaffolding. When not constructed and used properly, they are significant hazards. An individual can even suffer a severe head injury from falling from scaffolding. Here are some ways it can lead to accidents:
- Injuries due to falls – Construction workers are at high risk of facing Construction accidents, such as falls and other serious injuries. Falling from scaffolding is one of the most severe injuries that often result in severe consequences. Contractors and construction companies need to take extra precautions and provide workers with a safe environment. These incidents can even increase the risk of death. It is important to follow safety requirements and provide proper equipment to workers.
- Injuries that occur because of scaffolding collapse – Poor construction of a scaffold can have dangerous consequences and even raises the risk of death. It must be inspected daily to prevent the risk of collapse and accidents. Scaffolding is dangerous for workers and can have dangerous consequences for those passing under or nearby. Therefore, it is essential to take precautions and inspect scaffolding regularly.
- Injuries that occur because of objects falling from scaffolding – Falling objects carry the same risk as other accidents and may harm workers and passersby. Therefore, all objects used by the workers must be secured and used properly when on scaffolding.
- Injuries caused by slip and falls – Extreme weather conditions and objects out of place are some of the conditions that can lead to trips and slips. In severe cases, a worker may even fall from the scaffolding. These accidents can lead to catastrophic injuries, such as severe head injuries like traumatic brain injury (TBI). Connect with a brain injury lawyer to learn how to claim compensation for the accident.
- Injuries that may occur because of electrocution – Electrocutions are among the leading causes of death and fatalities in the construction industry. Employers and contractors must ensure that there are no electrical hazards on the site. Proper distance should be maintained between the scaffold and the electrical power use. Proper signage is also required, especially if there are live wires exposed.
Construction companies must provide proper training to workers. They should be appropriately guided on how they can prevent the risk of these serious accidents.
Not following the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA) guidelines and providing training are two common reasons for these incidents.
Can I sue the company after a scaffolding accident?
These accidents are preventable and mainly occur because of the construction company’s negligence. They occur when these companies fail to comply with the safety guidelines and do not take proper measures.
You can take legal action against the company and any other negligent parties if you have sustained injuries. You can file a third-party claim or a lawsuit against the negligent party.
You will need sufficient evidence proving negligence to sue the negligent party successfully. You should document all injuries and other evidence before commencing the legal process.
How long do I have to sue someone after a scaffolding accident?
Every state has its statute of limitations on personal injury claims. They differ in each state. For instance, the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit in Philadelphia and many other states is two years. Therefore, you have a time limit of two years from the date of the accident to file the lawsuit.
Most states have a two-year deadline, but there are also limited exceptions. Therefore, you should refer to the laws and regulations followed by your state before filing an Injury Claim. A knowledgeable attorney can help determine whether you have a viable personal injury claim in the state the accident occurred.
Obtain financial coverage through third-party claims or lawsuits
After a scaffolding accident, it is important to understand the seriousness of the accident. These accidents can lead to serious injuries or even the wrongful death of a loved one. One should consider taking legal action against the negligent company or another party.
If injuries have led to the wrongful death of a family member, the surviving family members can consult a skilled Philadelphia wrongful death lawyer to proceed against the responsible parties. Legal professionals will guide you throughout the process and help you obtain the compensation that is owed to you.
Before proceeding, you should collect as much evidence as possible and document any medical records. This evidence will help prove the other party’s negligence and get you one step closer to recovering compensation for your injuries. Get assistance from a reputable attorney and sue the negligent party for their wrongdoings.