Water parks are great places that families can enjoy. However, there are various reasons to worry when you visit a water park. There are safety hazards that you need to follow; otherwise you can be a victim of falls from rides or other accidents.
These accidents can vary in nature and severity and may involve visitors, employees, or others present at the water park. If anyone is a victim of debilitating injuries due to a water park mishap, a personal injury lawyer may help you after the accident.
Causes of water park accidents
Several potential causes of water park accidents exist, and can arise depending on various factors, such as the design and operation of attractions, visitor behavior, and environmental conditions. Some causes include:
- Lack of supervision;
- Failure to follow safety rules;
- Poor maintenance;
- Inadequate warnings or signage;
- Visitor behavior;
- Lack of staff training or communication;
- Human error.
In the most severe cases, wrongful death can arise from a water park accident, due to the carelessness of a visitor or water park staff.
Common types of water park accidents
Water park incidents are a common phenomenon. Some typical types of water park accidents include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Wet surfaces, such as pool decks, water slides, and changing areas, can become slippery, leading to slips, trips, and falls.
- Drowning: Drowning is a significant risk in water parks, especially in attractions with deep water, such as wave pools, lazy rivers, diving attractions, or the deep end of swimming pools. Lack of supervision, failure to follow safety rules, and inability to swim can all contribute to drowning incidents, which can result in serious injury or death.
- Ride Malfunctions: Mechanical failure or malfunction of water park rides, such as water slides, wave pools, or other attractions, can result in accidents. These accidents can involve riders getting stuck, trapped, or injured due to equipment failure or other ride-related issues.
- Collisions: In overcrowded water parks, swimmers or riders can collide, leading to injuries.
- Heat-related Illnesses: Spending extended periods of time under the sun and in water can lead to heat-related illnesses, such as heat exhaustion or heat stroke. Dehydration can also be a concern, especially if visitors do not drink enough water during their visit to the water park. At the same time, drinking the water in the pool or ride is never a good idea, either.
- Diving or Jumping Accidents: Diving or jumping into pools, especially shallow areas, can result in serious injuries if not done appropriately.
- Entrapment: Entrapment can occur when a person becomes trapped or stuck in a part of a water park attraction, such as in a drain, pipe, or other mechanical components.
- Personal Factors: Risky behavior, failure to follow safety rules or guidelines, and pre-existing health conditions can contribute to water park deaths.
- Chemical Exposure: Exposure to chemicals used in water park pools, such as chlorine or other disinfectants, can cause irritation in different parts of the body, especially the skin and eyes.
Injuries caused in water park incidents
Injuries in water park accidents can vary in severity, depending on the nature of the accident and the factors involved. Some may include bruises, sprains, cuts, abrasions, and contusions.
Brain injury or organ failure may also be caused in some drowning cases and other type of injuries. Some soft tissue injuries may also occur. To avoid life-threatening injuries, water park owners and managers must carefully comply with all safety regulations.
Need Legal Help? Contact Our Experienced Law Firm
If you have suffered such injuries, you may file a personal injury claim to pursue compensation for your damages. For over 30 years, Greg Prosmushkin has helped countless clients seek justice for their injuries. Our careful staff will investigate your case, negotiate with the insurance companies, represent your case in court, and will work tirelessly for your rights.
Before heading out to the amusement park, consider all the risk factors you or your family may face.
If you or a loved one have suffered serious injury at a water park from the negligence of others, and are having difficulty reaching a settlement we can help you through the legal process. Schedule a free case consultation to discuss your legal options.