There is no way to completely understand the impact a spinal cord injury has on a victim and their family unless you are living through it personally. If you need a Mercerville Spinal Cord Injury Attorney, know that we are here.
At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we will work diligently to secure the compensation you deserve if another person’s negligence or carelessness has caused you harm. We know that the expenses for an injury like this extend well beyond medical bills.
What Are Spinal Cord Injuries?
According to the Mayo Clinic, a spinal cord injury is “damage to any part of the spinal cord or nerves at the end of the spinal cord.”
These injuries can completely alter a person’s life, causing permanent damage in their strength, sensation, and bodily functions.
When we turn to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center for statistics, we see that there are around 290,000 people living with disabilities due to spinal cord injuries in the United States. Every year, there are around 18,000 new cases that are caused primarily by:
- Car Accidents (38.3%)
- Falls (31.6%)
- violence (13.8%)
- sports and recreation incidents (8.2%)
- Medical Malpractice (4.6%)
- other (3.5%)
Not all spinal cord injuries are the same. In fact, they range in severity. When most people think of these injuries, they think of complete paralysis. This is called complete quadriplegia and is the most severe form of spinal cord injury there is. However, there are less severe forms in which a person can lose the function of their lower limbs or have partial paralysis of all limbs or lower limbs.
The cost of treating these injuries ranges depending on the severity of the injury.
- The first year of medical costs for spinal cord injuries can range from $359,000 to over $1.1 million.
- Every subsequent year of medical care can cost from $43,000 to $191,000.
However, those are just the medical costs associated with a spinal cord injury. We know that the total expenses are much greater than that and include:
- Modifications to a person’s home and vehicle
- Cost of travel to and from specialists
- Special medical equipment to help with mobility
- Loss of income if a victim can no longer work
- Emotional and psychological damages for a victim and their family
What A Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Can Do For You
Spinal cord injuries are amongst the most devastating things that can happen to someone. If you or a loved one have been Injured due to the negligence of another person, please seek legal assistance. At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we are ready to step in and secure the compensation you deserve. This can include the following:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident (current and future)
- Coverage for medical devices/home accommodations
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible