We know that, all too often, people make the poor choice to drink and drive. Do they not think about the consequences? There are so many victims when an alcohol-impaired crash occurs. If you end up needing a DWI Accident Attorney, we want to help.
At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., you can count on having a competent and experienced team by your side. We will investigate what happened and move to secure the compensation you deserve. If someone else has caused you or a loved one harm, let us get to work.
What We Know
We want to start this article off saying this – impaired drivers are more likely to cause injury or fatal vehicle crashes. Drivers impaired by alcohol are more likely to operate at high speeds and often do not slow down before they impact another vehicle, Motorcycle, Bicyclist, or Pedestrian.
During the latest reporting year in New Jersey, there were over 270,000 vehicle crashes. Out of those, over 61,000 injuries and 624 fatalities.
- In 158 of the 591 fatal crashes, driving while intoxicated was listed as the major contributing factor.
- 174 lives were claimed in these crashes.
Injuries from these crashes can be severe. We commonly see the following in the aftermath of alcohol-involved crashes:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries/head injuries
- Spinal cord injuries/paralysis
- Internal organ damage/internal bleeding
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or Amputations
The cost of care for these crash victims can become tremendous. We commonly see victims of the spinal cord and brain injuries with emergency Medical Bills reaching into the hundreds of thousands of dollars. These expenses do not include other hidden costs, things like lost income if the victim cannot work or emotional and psychological damages.
Who Is Responsible?
In many cases, a DWI crash will become a criminal case. This can be in conjunction with a civil personal injury case filed by a victim against the person who caused their injuries.
We also want to point out that New Jersey has dram shop and liquor laws that allow a person to file a lawsuit against anyone who served a person alcohol and that person then caused someone else harms if:
- They served or sold alcohol to a person who was visibly intoxicated
- They served or sold alcohol to someone who was under 21 years of age
What To Do If You Are Injured
The most dangerous people on the roadway are those who make the choice to get behind the wheel of a vehicle while impaired. If you or a loved one have been injured by a drunk driver, the time to call for help is now. At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we are here to ensure you get the compensation you need for all of your injury-related expenses. This can include:
- Coverage of your medical bills
- Compensation for lost income if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Punitive damages against the impaired driver