Spinal cord injuries are frightening and quite often they are life changing for both the injured person and his or her family. Our Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys know that spinal cord injuries require years of medical expenses, sometimes major accommodations are necessary, and injury victims and their caretakers may lose much needed income as a result of the injury. Accidents that result in spinal cord injuries may be the result of bad luck, but when those accidents are caused by someone else’s fault, you deserve to be compensated for all of your injuries and damages.
Spinal Cord Injury Symptoms
Spinal cord injury symptoms can vary greatly from person to person. Location of the injury does affect some of the symptoms, but even when two people have a spinal injury in the same location, they may not suffer the same symptoms. Spinal cord injury symptoms can vary in the following ways:
- Severity – The severity of the spinal cord injury depends on its physical effects such as paralysis (complete or incomplete), pain level, incontinence, loss or change in sexual and reproductive function, loss of limb control, loss of motor skills, or loss of feeling and sensation.
- Recovery – Some people are able to make a complete recovery after a spinal cord injury while others will only make a partial recovery, and some will not recover. Early medical intervention such as treatments to reduce swelling may also aid in reducing or eliminating symptoms.
- Impact on life – Spinal cord injuries also vary in how they impact people’s lives. Some have minor and temporary impacts while other injuries can seriously impact a person such as preventing him or her from driving, working, or being able to walk.
Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are commonly seen as a result of the following types of accidents:
- Automobile accidents causing injury to car occupants, Pedestrians, or Bicyclists.
- Falls are related to a large percentage of spinal cord injuries, especially construction site falls where construction workers often fall from several stories above the ground.
- Football and gymnastics are among a number of sports that sometimes lead to spinal cord injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries are not uncommon in Motorcycle Accidents where motorcyclists are often thrown from their bikes upon impact.
- Violence, including abuse and gunshot wounds can cause injury to the spine.
- Medical malpractice, especially in anesthesia administration and spine surgeries can result in spinal cord injuries.
As previously mentioned, early medical intervention has shown promising results. Technology and medical advancements are constantly evolving and bringing new hope to spinal cord injury sufferers and their loved ones. If you have sustained a spinal cord injury due to someone else’s fault, do not try to work through it by yourself. Contact a Cherry Hill Spinal Cord Injury Attorney to discuss your legal options for financial recovery. Spinal cord injuries can be financially and emotionally disruptive and devastating and we will help to see that you get the financial compensation that you deserve.