We know that nobody expects to get injured when they start their day. Unfortunately, accidents do happen, but perhaps no Personal Injuries cause more pain and suffering than spinal cord injuries. Commonly, spinal cord injury victims and their families wonder how they can ever move forward after an accident.
At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we know this is a difficult time for you and your family and we want to help. When you need a Bristol spinal cord injury attorney, we will work to secure the compensation you need for all of your injury-related expenses.
How Spinal Cord Injuries Happen
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, the main causes of SCIs are:
- Vehicle Accidents – 38 percent
- Falls – 30.5 percent
- Violence – 13.5 percent
- Sport and Recreation Accidents – 9 percent
- Medical or Surgical Mistakes – 5 percent
Many spinal cord injuries happen due to the negligence of other people, companies, or agencies.
There are approximately 17,000 new spinal cord injuries a year and the US has around 282,000 people living with spinal cord injuries right now.
There are different levels of severity when it comes to spinal cord injuries. Here is a breakdown:
- 45 percent partial quadriplegia (partial paralysis of all limbs)
- 21.3 percent partial paraplegia (partial paralysis of lower limbs)
- 20 percent complete paraplegia (complete loss of function for lower limbs)
- 13.3 percent complete quadriplegia (complete loss of function for all limbs)
The costs for the First Year of medical expenses for these injuries range from $346,896 to over $1 million dollars. For each following year, the costs range from $42,256 to $185,111.
Not included in these costs are the Hidden Expenses that individuals and families experience. This can include:
- Lost income of the person injured
- Lost income of a family member if they become a caregiver
- Home and vehicle accommodations (wheelchair ramps, accessible vehicles, doorway widening)
- Travel expenses to hospitals and rehabilitation centers
These injuries significantly reduce life expectancy and lead to other medical conditions developing in the person who is injured throughout their lifetime. Over 30 percent of all spinal cord injury victims are re-hospitalized one or more times each year due to complications from their injury.
Often, spinal cord injury victims and their families suffer from psychological and emotional problems and need counseling. This can also become costly.
Is it fair that a person and their family have to suffer financially due to someone else’s mistake?
What Are Your Options?
If you or a loved one have suffered a spinal cord injury due to another person’s carelessness or reckless behavior, please seek legal assistance. At The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we will work tirelessly to investigate your case and secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- Injury-related medical expenses (current and long-term)
- Lost income coverage
- Hidden cost expenses
- Pain and suffering damages
- Punitive damages
When you need a Bristol Spinal Cord Injury Attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by Clicking Here or calling 215-673-7733.