Who Pays for Your Medical Treatment and Damages?

You were just in an accident and taken to the hospital where you had thousands of dollars worth of treatment. The hospital may know that you were in a Philadelphia Auto Accident Lawyer, but they bill your private health insurance company, or you personally.

Can they do that? Why do they? First, they do that because the only available method of payment at that time is your health insurance. Since the accident just happened, a claim under an applicable automobile policy has not been set up yet with the insurance company.

If you do not have private health insurance (including public assistance), then you will be billed at home personally, and you will subsequently have to jump through many “hoops” in order to undo the impending credit rating problem you are going to have.

Consult a Philadelphia Auto Accident Lawyer. This is what a lawyer can help you with. At Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., our staff is very knowledgeable on how to prevent bills and billings from “falling through the cracks” which will inevitably cause your credit rating to fall.

Setting up your claim immediately is our first priority. Second, we make sure that all the providers bill the proper insurance company, so that your bills do not go into collections. We know what proper billing is, and we analyze the bills for abuses in billing.

A common question people ask is “why does my car insurance have to pay for my damages and not the owner of the other vehicle involved?” The answer is that there is a priority of who pays.

If you were at work at the time of the accident, then workers’ compensation pays your medical bills through a worker’s compensation claim. If Workers’ Compensation is not applicable, then your insurance pays your medical bills, and if you had no auto insurance, and did not own a car, then a resident relative like your parents or children and in laws auto insurance pays your bills.

If you are a passenger in a car with no insurance and hit by a vehicle with insurance and you do not have a household policy or resident relative with a policy, then the driver of the other vehicle pays your medical bills upon sufficient proof of the above circumstances.

What if there is no insurance on anyone involved in the accident? In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, there is a fund for those without recourse in an automobile accident. The fund is called the Pennsylvania Assigned Claims Plan, and it offers minimal coverage for those without insurance.

Priorities of coverage, who pays for what, and why can be so confusing for the average layperson. The Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. can help. We offer free consultations and are ready willing and able to assist you in your claim for damages.