The term small claims can be a bit misleading because it makes a matter seem somehow less important. That is not the case. A “small claim” for some can still be a considerable bit of money and these cases matter.

At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we are here to help when you need a Philadelphia small claims attorney. Our team will be there for you through this process to ensure you are treated fairly by everyone involved.

What kind of issues are small claims cases?

Not every case needs to be handled in the “big courts.” Many cases can be handled in small claims court. Specifically, for cases that are for less than $12,000 in Philadelphia, small claims court is the route to take.

Some of the things that are handled in small claims court include:

  • The collection of bad debt
  • Failure to fix a car or appliance correctly
  • Return of a Security Deposit
  • Property damaged during cleaning
  • Repayment of a small loan
  • Personal Injury matters
  • Failure to meet the terms of a service contract
  • Landlord/Tenant disputes
  • And more

Why would an attorney be helpful?

There are several reasons that an attorney would be helpful in a small claims case. If you are the person seeking compensation, that does not mean you have any legal training.

While the small claims process is relatively informal, that does not mean well-reasoned arguments are not valuable. An attorney can examine the facts of your case and put together a picture that is logically sound and easy for the judge to understand.

If someone is seeking compensation from you in small claims court, this can seem like a nightmare. You do not want to be out of up to $12,000.

With the help of an attorney, you can properly defend yourself against false claims from the other side. Your attorney will work to get the case thrown out or the amount you end up paying reduced to something that is fair for you.

What cannot be handled in small claims court?

Small claims court cannot be used for matters that involve more than $12,000 in damages, divorce cases, guardianship cases, name changes, bankruptcy, etc.

Inside or outside Philadelphia?

The process for filing a small claims case differs depending on whether or not you are in Philadelphia. The Philadelphia Municipal Court hears small claims cases within the city limits.

Outside of Philadelphia, you must file your complaint in the district where the incident occurred. You can locate the Magisterial District Courts by clicking here.

How can we get started today?

If you or someone you love is going through the small claims process, you may need to seek legal assistance to help you. At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., our knowledgeable and experienced team will be dedicated to your case. Our goal will be to secure the compensation you deserve. This can include things like:

  • Coverage of medical bills
  • Lost wages
  • Rent
  • Property damage
  • Other home or business dealings

When you need a Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation by calling (215)-799-9990