Nobody wants to get into a car accident. When one happens, the aftermath can be incredibly difficult, especially when you are dealing with damages or injuries.
If you or someone you care about has been injured due to the carelessness of another person, the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. is ready to help. Many clients ask us if they should settle their cases out of court. There is no one set answer to this question, as each case is different.
The difference between your options
When you get into a car accident, the usual course of events is something like the following:
- Seek medical attention
- Report the crash to the insurance companies
- Let the adjusters determine a settlement
- Review settlement amounts
- Take the offer from the insurance company
However, there are times when the insurance company (whether yours or the other party’s) either denies your claim or makes a settlement offer that is far too low. When this happens, a car accident victim may have to file a Personal Injury lawsuit.
When you file a personal injury lawsuit in a car accident claim, either with or without an attorney, there may be a settlement offer from the other side.
You do not have to take it, and you should probably not take the first offer anyway. Negotiation is a key part of these cases. However, if you do receive a fair offer, you can choose to take it. This essentially settles the claim before it goes to trial.
With the help of an attorney, you can determine whether to settle out of court. Most cases are indeed settled out of court, but that may not be your best option:
- If the settlement offer is far too low to cover your accident-related expenses
- If you have a strong case that will likely win at trial
The benefits of going to trial are that you could end up with much more than the settlement offer, including punitive damages. The downside is that you could lose the case and end up with nothing at all.
- Taking a settlement out of court guarantees that you will get what they are offering.
During the latest reporting year in the commonwealth, there were over 128,000 total crashes reported. Out of those crashes, there were:
- 1,137 fatalities
- 80,612 injuries
These incidents are going to happen, but you should never let yourself be taken advantage of by insurance companies or other parties involved.
We are ready to help you through this
We know that the aftermath of a car accident can be incredibly confusing. At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., our qualified and experienced team is ready to step in and help when you need legal assistance. Our goal is to secure compensation for:
- Your medical expenses related to the crash
- Recovery of lost wages if you are unable to work
- Coverage of physical therapy
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent party