Bicycles are a great way for people of all ages to get outdoors and exercise. Kids love riding their bikes, especially when the weather is nice. Unfortunately, children are also often the victims of many bicycle crashes.
If your child has been injured in a bicycle crash, the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., our knowledgeable and experienced team is ready to help you through this. We will investigate the case and work to determine who was liable. When you need a lawyer, call us today.
How to determine liability
Bicycle accidents are not uncommon, especially in and around urban areas like Philadelphia. During the latest reporting year in the US, there were 783 bicyclists killed and thousands more were injured.
During that same year in Pennsylvania, there were 1,141 bicycle crashes. Nearly all bicycle crashes in Pennsylvania resulted in an Injury or fatality.
It is not uncommon for us to see the following injuries as a result of a bicycle crash:
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
According to the Pennsylvania DOT, children aged 5 to 14 are the most vulnerable to fatal injury and injury while riding a bicycle.
Many of these crashes are caused due to driver negligence or carelessness. This includes drivers:
- Operating under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Operating while distracted by their phones
- Failing to yield the right-of-way
- Operating too fast for conditions
How to prove liability
You may need to secure help from an attorney in these cases. An attorney will be able to gather all of the evidence related to the incident in order to prove liability. This include:
- The police reports from the Accident
- Eyewitness accounts
- Video surveillance if available
- The bicycle to prove damages
- Medical records to prove injuries
Proving liability in these cases is only one step. Your attorney will work to calculate the total costs of damages and injuries and present that to the insurance company.
If the insurance carrier refuses to offer a fair settlement, it may be necessary to file a personal injury lawsuit to recover compensation. You cannot depend on the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier to properly assess the damages and assign liability.
We want to get to work on your case today
If your child has been injured in a bicycle crash that was caused by the negligence of another person, please seek legal assistance today. At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., our qualified and experienced team understands these cases and will work to determine who is liable. Let us work to secure the following:
- Coverage of medical expenses for your child
- Recovery of lost wages if you have to take time off from work
- Coverage of physical therapy
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of enjoyment of life damages
- Possible punitive damages against the negligent party