A dog attack is not something many people think about, and nobody expects that they will be attacked by a police dog. However, just like officers can cause harm due to their negligence, those same officers can also use dogs in ways they should not.
The team at the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C. is ready to get to work and help if this has happened to you. Our Philadelphia Dog Attack Lawyers are ready to get to work securing the compensation you deserve.
What Can Be Caused From A Dog Bite?
Police officers have various tools to use when they work to apprehend a suspect. One tool that many departments use is police dogs. In most cases, these dogs are well-trained and do not unnecessarily use force against a person.
However, there are several ways in which a police dog could cause injuries that should not have occurred. This could include:
- The dog bit or attacked a person who was not a suspect or was not resisting arrest.
- During a drug or explosive investigation, a dog bit or attacked a bystander or suspect.
- A dog used more force than necessary to subdue a suspect.
Police dogs are generally mid-larger breeds with very powerful jaws. When they bite a person, they can cause a range of severe injuries. This can include:
- Broken bones
- Severe lacerations
- Digit amputations
- Vein or artery damage
Why do you need an attorney for these cases?
If you have been injured due to the actions of a police dog, it could be a case of excessive force. When these cases arise, it can be difficult to get the evidence necessary to prove what happened. Police departments tend to protect this information in hopes of avoiding a lawsuit.
Your attorney is the equalizer in your case. They will work to gather all of the evidence necessary to prove what happened. This can include:
- The police reports
- Eyewitness accounts
- Statements from other officers
- Your medical records
Your attorney will obtain the department’s use of force manuals as well as the records of the office and the dog involved.
- Did the officer and dog have adequate training?
- Was the use of force proportionate to what was happening on the scene?
- What was the situation leading up to the attack?
Your attorney will review the entirety of the case and work to get to the bottom of what happened, ensuring your rights are upheld throughout the process.
Let us help you with this case
If you or someone you care about has been injured by a police dog due to the careless or negligent actions of an officer, please seek legal assistance as soon as possible.
At the Law Offices of Greg Prosmushkin, P.C., we will investigate the circumstances of the attack so we can secure the compensation you deserve. This can include:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Punitive damages against those responsible
When you need a lawyer, you can contact us for a free consultation or calling 215-673-7733.